Family Law

-Domestic Violence

-Juvenile Court
  -Drug Court
  -Dependency Info
  -Dependency Court
  -Delinquency Court
  -Peer Court

  -Application for a
   Confidential Marriage

  -Application for a
   Public Marriage


  -Custody and Visitation
    -Family Law Mediator
    -Family Law Facilitator

Family Law - Marriage Dissolution

Divorce (also called dissolution) is a way to end a marriage and receive court orders for support, custody and visitation, and property and debt division, as applicable. After you get a divorce, you will be single, and you can marry again.

Separation is a way to remain married but receive the orders discussed above if it applies to your case. It is for a couple who want to live apart and decide money, property, and parenting issues but do not want to get a divorce

Annulment is a way to have what you thought was a legal marriage declared invalid for limited and specific reasons and have the court make any necessary orders (such as support, custody and visitation, property and debt division). A marriage may be declared void on various grounds such as unsound mind, force, fraud, physical incapacity, under the age of consent, or prior existing marriage. This is a rarely used proceeding)

Divorce (dissolution), separations and annulment can be as much an emotional experience as they are a legal process. This means that just as you must handle the legal issues around legal separation, annulment, or divorce, you will also find that the emotional issues can have a big impact on you and, if you have them, your children.

Following are a few suggestions that may help you manage your family law case more effectively:

  • Get help with emotional issues, especially if you and your spouse can't seem to get past arguing about how to share and divide your parenting responsibilities or divide your money or other assets and debts.
  • Protect your children from the conflict between you and your spouse. Learn how at:

On-Line Help
A self-help website that offers several options for both parents and children/teens of divorcing/separating parents. Families Change - Guides to Divorce and Seperation